Experience the second annual Folklore Festival at the National School of the Arts on September 16th!
Join us for a celebration of African identity, culture, customs, and heritage at the second instalment of the annual Folklore Festival. Hosted at the National School of the Arts (NSA), this unique event boasts an exceptional lineup of top artists who will invite you to journey with them to the heart of our shared heritage. The Folklore Festival is curated by multi-award-winning indelible storyteller and creative artist Pilani Bubu who is also the Founder & Festival Director. (see www.folklore.community & www.pilanibubu.com).
NSA Choir & Band: Embark on a soulful journey through the rich tapestry of African sounds with the National School of the Arts Choir as their harmonious voices echo with the stories and melodies of old. Pilani will infuse her mesmerizing Folklore Chapter 2 repertoire, set for release this November, into a captivating collaboration with the choir. Join us for a fusion of talents as tradition meets innovation in a musical performance that celebrates our nation’s vibrant heritage.
- Music Concerts: Immerse yourself in diverse musical genres performed by a lineup of exceptional artists.
- Storyteller’s Stage: Journey through African literature and captivating storytelling sessions.
- Drumming Circles: Engage in rhythmic drumming sessions that connect you to the heart of African culture.
- Kids Area: Discover a safe and exciting space for kids to play, learn, and explore African arts and traditions.
- Crafts Market: Explore a vibrant market featuring African crafts and products that celebrate our cultural richness.
- Food Market: Indulge your taste buds with a selection of traditional African cuisine.
Featured Artists & Performers:
- Sho Madjozi: Immerse yourself in the vibrant Afro-centric world of Sho Madjozi, as she brings her unique blend of rhythms and lyrics to the stage.
- Vusi Mahlasela: Let the soulful melodies and poignant lyrics of Vusi Mahlasela’s “The Voice” resonate with your heart.
- Thandeka Mfinyongo & Ancient Voices: Thandeka’s vocals merge seamlessly with the enchanting sounds of Ancient Voices, creating a mesmerising auditory experience.
- Makadem ft. Eddie Grey: Experience the captivating fusion of Nyatiti and modern sounds, accompanied by the masterful touch of jazz virtuoso Eddie Grey.
- Josh Meck: Delve into the heritage sounds of Zimbabwe through Josh Meck’s unique blend of traditional rhythms and jazz influences.
- DJ Nicky B: Let DJ Nicky B transport you through a world of world folk music with her expertly crafted mixes.
- Pilani Bubu & The NSA: Witness the homegrown talents of NSA and Pilani Bubu as they contribute their artistic magic to the festival.
- Date: September 16, 2023
- Venue: National School of the Arts
- Time: 10:00 AM – 11:00 PM
- Bookings: Quicket qkt.io/FolkloreFestival2023
Secure your spot now to experience this extraordinary celebration of heritage and artistry. For tickets and more information, visit https://qkt.io/FolkloreFestival2023. Join us in celebrating #NSAExcellenceInArtsAndAcademics.